Saturday, November 5, 2011

Case Study 99: The Day is Mine

"When it's over, I want to say all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it's over, I don't want to wonder

if I have made of my life something particular, and real.

I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,

or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world."
- Mary Oliver



As I finish my twenty-seventh trip around the sun, I find myself here: settled.  Not settling- never settling- but landed, in a way, in a place that I've always dreamed of. 

It might be fleeting, but I'll try to remember how this kind of wholeness feels.  I will think about it next week, next month and next year.  And I will hold it close, because by getting here I haven't been given anything but the key to open a brand new door to life.



Tonight I want for nothing but to be with my people.  To be in my place.  To surround myself with music, faces and glittering light. 
 
Tomorrow is my twenty-seventh birthday.

 

So here's to today, my own new year's eve, and to twenty-seven plus twenty-seven plus twenty-seven more years of awe and wonderment after this.

3 comments:

Jen said...

You know, I feel/felt the same way turning 28 this week. After I got over the initial "holy shit I'm almost 30" freak out, I feel happily settled in my life as a person. It was like a light switch turned on and a dormant part of myself finally awoken.

Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful birthday tomorrow. Let's drink to our respective new years sooner rather than later (because I could use any excuse to drag out my birthday longer than I should)!

Jen

Kathleen said...

Do you ever post your recipes? your cuppies look fabulous..!!

The Cupcaketologist said...

@k'schronicles: i don't because i'm working with them for something special..however if there are any particular ones you like on occasion, feel free to reach out via email!