Sunday, July 3, 2011

Notes from the Field: God Bless America

 
"After you flew across the country we
 got in bed, laid our bodies
 delicately together, like maps laid
 face to face, East to West.
 
 
My San Francisco against your New York, your
 Fire Island against my Sonoma, my
 New Orleans deep in your Texas, your Idaho
 bright on my Great Lakes, my Kansas
 burning against your Kansas your Kansas
 burning against my Kansas, 
 
 
your Eastern Standard Time pressing into my
 Pacific Time, my Mountain Time
 beating against your Central Time, your
 sun rising swiftly from the right my
 sun rising swiftly from the left  
 
  
your moon rising slowly from the left my
 moon rising slowly from the right until
 all four bodies of the sky
 burn above us, sealing us together,
 all our cities twin cities,
 all our states united, one
 nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
 
-Sharon Olds 

  America, romance.  Let's celebrate this 4th of July with the best plans that could be: surrounded by the people we love and with double vanilla cupcakes topped with vanilla bean buttercream and fresh summer berries.  Happy Independence Day.

No comments: