Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Case Study 90: "The Ultimate Blueberry Donut Cupcake"


This is a very naughty cupcake.

Pure goodness, tastebuds dripping, sensory wonder and awe.

I love breakfast.  I talk about this often.  I could eat a thousand breakfasts and no dinners and be happy as a clam. That being said, I've never really been a donut girl. 


 Give me poached eggs, give me greek yogurt with a handful of fruit, give me a box of cereal and I could probably finish it in one sitting. Give me a cookie, and make it crispy and I will dip that thing in coffee all day.  


But there are certain donuts that I most certainly break for, and this is one of them(I'll also eat anything by Fleming's Donuts on the Outer Cape, but that's another story).
  Cakey goodness, dipped in butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar. 

 Oooooarrrrghhhhhhhhhh. 
(That is the gut-wrenching sound that comes from my stomach and out my mouth when I think about it)


So naturally, when I finally invested in a donut pan (because seriously, who wants to fry when it's ninety degrees and scorching outside?), it somehow made sense to me that the first things these donuts needed were blueberries.  And not just any blueberries.  Maine blueberries (they're the best, clearly).


Sweet Maine blueberry cupcakes topped with a light amber maple vanilla buttercream and homemade cinnamon sugar donuts.  

To me this tastes like every summer dream breakfast table all rolled into one scrumptious delight.  Like I'm sitting outside in my skivvies and an old t-shirt, barefoot by a lake in the late July shade at 8 AM with a hot cup of coffee and a wet dog by my side, under the watch of a big ass American flag. 
Breakfast, donuts, cupcakes, summer.  BOOM. 
The Ultimate Blueberry Donut Cupcake.

3 comments:

alshuman said...

How did you make those little donuts?

Lena said...

Can I have the recipe for your blueberry cupcakes? I tried making them once and they came out very muffin like. I too am obsessed with Bluberries, and I'm from close to the blueberry capital of the world, Hammonton, NJ.

The Cupcaketologist said...

Hi Lena! Totally understand- so hard sometimes with the fruit-filled ones. Here is my cake recipe:

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
4 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 vanilla bean scraped
1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup blueberries, dusted with flour

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill baking tins with cupcake liners.

2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.

3. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla and vanilla bean.

4. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.

5. Mix in the flour mixture and milk three parts, alternating, and ending with flour.

6. Fold in blueberries and bake for 18-20 minutes.

Hope this helps. Happy baking!