Thursday, February 3, 2011

Case Study 79: "The Golden Ticket"

Glamour.  I've been thinking a lot about it lately as I settle into the Manhattan life I've been creating for myself.


It's a bit more decadent here in New York - a little excessive at times and a hell of a lot more luxurious just by nature alone.  Swanky cocktails in classic Manhattan bars are quickly followed by dirty late night underground dance parties and white truffle pizza at 2 AM.  We are surrounded by more forms of art and culture and diversity here than I could ever imagine, even coming from another large city.  And for Christ's sake, half the time I get my groceries delivered now, and I can't even tell you about the wild goods that can arrive at my doorstep.  With this all, I am reminded of that famous quote by Kate Moss when she said "My mum used to say to me, 'you can't have fun all the time,' and I used to say, 'why not?'. Why the fuck can't I have fun all the time?"  


Making life extraordinary.  Over the past few years, I'm finding  that this is one of my golden rules.  Adding a little extra effort to make the everyday a bit more fantastical, in even the simplest of ways, brings a bit more fulfillment to my life.  That is what New York City has been for me so far.

"The Golden Ticket" is a chocolate cupcake with golden dust encrusted hazelnut buttercream.  It's an over the top, sparkling and glamorous addition to an otherwise dreary winter weekday, and that's what makes it absolutely spectacular. 


Fellini, master of fantastical cinema, believed that all that we create in our lives is autobiographical- that even the pearl is the life story of the oyster.  In the end, the lives that we make for ourselves- the people we are surrounded by, the journeys we embark on, the lifestyles we fashion- are worth only the value of what we want the pages of our life histories to say.  For what it's worth, I hope mine reads that no matter what came my way in life, I loved and I lived, and most of all, I really made it fun.

1 comment:

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

OMG, I so love this post! I am ready to catch the next plane to NYC. :) You make 'life' sound like so much fun. I need to hang out with you for a few days. :))

xOx

P.S. I really did love this post and I'll be back to read it when I need a lift out of the fog.