To my mother, on Mother's Day, and every day. Thank you for refilling the crisper without a word when I pilfered your breakfast fruits for my kitchen creations, and thank you for always telling me they were delicious, no matter what. That is love.
"The Icebox Queen"
(Makes 18 to 24)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
"Strawberries From My Mother's Fridge" Buttercream
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or by hand, beat the butter and until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in strawberry puree and vanilla.
- 2 stick butter
- 1 cup strawberry puree, strained and seedless
- 4-6 cups confectioner sugar 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
2. Add 1 cup confectioner’s sugar and mix until combined, mix in half of the milk.
3. Mix in remaining confectioner’s sugar, adding more milk depending on consistency and preference.
4. Frost and enjoy, preferably with your mama, they were her fruits after all...