Monday, May 25, 2009

Case Study 20: "The Redheaded Sicilian"


When I lived in Italy, I made it a goal to find Sicily at least once, and understand where my family came from, what they saw, who they were. I didn't want to leave. Traveling down the east coast, I noticed a sad eroding beauty. Towns that were a reminder of a place worlds apart from the mainland, a sort of port stop for the various exploring cultures of the Mediterranean.

"The Redheaded Sicilian" is a rich chocolate cupcake with a cannoli cream filling and Kahlua buttercream frosting. It's musky in its roots, creamy in the center, and finished with a good liqueur kick.

My great-grandfather was a redheaded Sicilian, a spitfire descendant of those Norman and Longobard adventurers that settled on the island hundreds of years ago. I think my cousins and I have a bit of him still in us. The fair southern Italian skin, the love of good sweets, and that inevitable reckless wanderlust... to travel the world and see where we land.

No comments: